BROKEN lifts, blocked emergency exits, dark and smelly corridors, and improper waste disposal are some of the issues pervading Pangsapuri Angsana low-cost flats in Subang Jaya, Selangor.
The badly maintained facilities combined with the residents’ generally poor attitude towards cleanliness have raised concerns about health and safety for people living nearby.
Ng said she hoped that the meeting would encourage the flats’ residents to be more involved in community programmes and work more closely with local authorities to ensure their safety.
“It is difficult to get them involved because Pangsapuri Angsana has not had a joint management body for the past two decades.
“We hope today’s event will promote more community engagement,” she said, adding that there were eight blocks consisting of 10 floors and each floor has 20 units.
ASP Jasni said it was important for female residents to be aware of their rights. “There was news about foreigners staying here who violated the modesty of women in lifts and corridors. This is very worrying,” he said. He urged those who were victimised to immediately lodge a police report.
He also noted that motorcycle theft was common in the area, citing that two cases were reported last week. “Keep an eye out as well for teenagers who loiter in the parking lots at night, as they might get involved in fights,” he said.
ASP Jasni added that residents could call the police station at 03-7862 7100 in an emergency. Meanwhile, Syed Shahril said each building was equipped with an access tunnel that traversed the floors and which functioned as an avenue to transport water hose. He expressed his dismay that the tunnels had been filled with rubbish.
“We also urge residents not to park their motorcycles in front of the entrance corridor as these will block access in the event of a fire,” he pointed out.
He said an inspection of Pangsapuri Angsana’s grounds found several emergency doors, in the blocks, destroyed. “If a fire breaks out, the smoke will incapacitate you.
“The emergency door protects residents from the smoke and ensures their safe exit.
“I strongly advise against using the elevator during a fire,” he said. He added that it would take only four minutes for a fire that broke out at ground level to reach the 12th floor of a high-rise.
Syed Shahril advised the residents to watch out for foreigners taking water directly from the tank located on top of the building. “Their water supply may have been cut due to lax payment and as a result they use the supply from the water tank,” he said. In the event of a fire, residents can call the fire station at 03-5634 9444.