Ask Me Anything: Solving issues regarding tenancy agreement

Compiled by: Tharmini Kenas

side_banner_-_150_w_x_150_h_px-01Ask Me Anything is a platform for readers to ask about all things property. If you have any inquiries, key in your questions at

Messrs Eunice Tan & Partners founder Eunice Tan answers readers’ queries regarding issues concerning landlords and tenants.

Q1: I have been renting an apartment for two years, and upon contract renewal, the agent has requested payment of RM300 as tenancy renewal fees which comprises:

  • Hiring a legal trainee to draft up the new agreement = RM180
  • Duty Stamp = RM50
  • Runner Fee = RM70

Is there a need to hire legal trainees or legal experts to draft or amend an existing tenancy agreement between landlord and tenant? Or can the contract drafting be done by the landlord and tenant themselves?

A1: The landlord and tenant themselves can draft the contract. However, if you engage a legal expert to prepare the contract, you may know more about your legal rights. Concerning hiring a legal trainee, it is still advisable to engage a lawyer than a legal trainee for their strong background.

Q2: If my tenancy agreement ends on August 30, when should I update my landlord whether I am moving out or extending the contract?

A2: You may need to refer to the tenancy agreement. Usually, there is a clause to stipulate how many months’ notice should be given to the landlord if the tenant intends to terminate or renew the contract.


All data and information provided are for informational purposes only. All information is provided on an as-is basis. All users are strongly encouraged to seek professional advice before relying on any data or information provided.

Read More: Feng Shui for new house and study place

Read More: Ask Me Anything: Facing up to an auction or sub-sale

Read More: Ask Me Anything: Feng Shui in predetermined office space

Read More: Ask Me Anything: How to pick the best-suited Feng Shui practitioner for my house?



Related Articles: