Ask Me Anything: What if the developer goes bankrupt?

Compiled by: Tharmini Kenas


Ask Me Anything is a platform for readers to ask about all things property. If you have any inquiries, key in your questions at

Messrs Eunice Tan & Partners founder Eunice Tan answers readers’ queries regarding issues concerning landlords and tenants.

Q: I bought an apartment 15 years ago. The developer went bankrupt and a law firm have taken over. The law firm is charging a very high fee for the strata title. Can I apply the strata title on my own from the land office?

Also, upon paying rent, the firm only issues temporary receipt. Is this a catch to ensure I go through the law firm for the strata title?

A: Once a liquidator is appointed, the liquidator has to work whatever is necessary for the company including but not limited to apply for the issuance of the strata title of the project.

Regarding the temporary receipt, usually if it is a cheque, a temporary receipt will be issued upon payment.


All data and information provided are for informational purposes only. All information is provided on an as-is basis. All users are strongly encouraged to seek professional advice before relying on any data or information provided.

Read More: Ask Me Anything: Solving issues regarding tenancy agreement

Read More: Feng Shui for new house and study place

Read More: Ask Me Anything: Facing up to an auction or sub-sale

Read More: Ask Me Anything: Feng Shui in predetermined office space




A house is a pillar of strength that unites the family, and this collective unit forms the backbone that defines the nation. Since the end of WWII and the beginning of our nation’s independence, the concept of housing has evolved over the years. From the emphasis on practicality and functionality, today's developments amalgamate the concept of living, accessibility, space and functionality into a harmonious union.

The Awards 2019 is here for the fourth time to celebrate the developers and projects that laid the foundations of our nation. If you are interested in participating in the award, register at